Email marketing is an effective method of communicating and connecting with consumers, but only if you know how to use it properly. With so many different companies, organizations and individuals competing for the attention of consumers, you need to know how to make your emails stand out in a consumer’s inbox. One of the best ways to ensure that your emails have the best chance of being opened is the use of email segmentation.
What is the definition of email segmentation?
Email segmentation is a strategy used to divide an email list into segments based on any number of conditions. This allows the company to tailor the content they send based on the needs and preferences of individual consumers.
Email segmentation offers a wide variety of benefits for businesses, including:
- Increased open rates – When subject lines are customized based on the interests and preferences of the consumers, they are more likely to open emails.
- Higher click-through rates – Customized content holds the attention of the consumer more effectively, leading to higher click-through rates.
- More conversions – Because consumers are more likely to read the entire email and be interested in its contents, they are also more likely to convert.
- Fewer unsubscribes – Consumers don’t like receiving content that doesn’t interest them. If it happens regularly, they often unsubscribe from the email list. Keeping content interesting for individual consumers reduces the risk of losing subscribers.
- Avoidance of the spam filter – When consumers interact with emails from a certain sender, future emails are less likely to go to the spam folder.
Email Segmentation Best Practices
To get the most benefit from email segmentation, follow these tips.
1. Use the right data.
There are many ways to divide consumers into segments for email marketing purposes. Businesses may use demographic, transactional or behavioral characteristics to segment consumers. Try to use as many of these characteristics as possible in order to develop small, specific segments. The more information you have about each segment, the more you can customize the content you send.
2. Use email segmentation software.
Managing email segmentation can be complicated, especially if you use multiple characteristics to divide consumers into groups. Consider using email segmentation software, such as the program available from Experiture, to simplify email segmentation.
3. Monitor your progress.
Monitor the success of your email segmentation efforts continuously so that you can optimize your strategies for better results.
To learn more about Experiture and how we help customers leverage the power of email segmentation, contact us today at (888) 950-0700 or info@localhost